A Love Letter to Chandratal

I never thought I’d write about Chandratal with a heavy heart. Because somehow, I lost my entire Chandratal trip memories. All those cute little moments.
The love.
The roads.
The rain.
The fear.
The laughter.
The views I was so desperately excited to show you. All gone and maybe that's why writing this hurts a little more. But someone once said: "Marne se pehle Chandratal dekhna hai.” And honestly… now I understand why because when you're gasping for breath, your head is pounding from AMS, your body is exhausted, and the road ahead looks like it was designed by someone who genuinely hated humans…you STILL want to see that lake. That moon-shaped, blue-emerald lake. Because if you are going to die anyway, at least die looking at something this divine. Okay… i know I'm getting dramatic, but standing there, I swear it didn't feel dramatic at all. 
It felt true.
Chandratal had been on my bucket list for years and when I finally saw it, I understood every story about fairies coming here to bathe.Who wouldn't? If I were a fairy, I'd choose this place as my permanent address.
The lake doesn't even stay the same colour.
Green.
Golden.
Blue.
Emerald.
It keeps changing with the light and somehow every version looks more unreal than the previous one. I've seen the emerald waters of the Maldives but standing there, looking at Chandratal…
Maldives, I'm sorry.
This was different. This wasn't just beautiful. It felt alive. I actually felt a pull in my heart like the lake didn't want me to leave and for a few minutes, neither did I.
I just wanted to lie beside it. No phone. No people. No responsibilities. Just mountains, cold air, stones, wildflowers, glaciers, silence and that ridiculous blue water. Sukoon. The kind of sukoon you can't buy and then there were the roads.
Oh my god. People keep calling the Kinnaur–Tibet highway one of the most dangerous roads. But for me? Chandratal roads won. Especially in the rain and especially at night.
There were moments when I genuinely wondered what the hell I was doing there.
But then you reach the lake…and suddenly every terrifying kilometre feels worth it.

I wanted to show Chandratal to you through my eyes Not just the lake everyone photographs. I wanted you to see the tiny things.
The flora.
The fauna.
The stones.
The glaciers.
The other lakes.
The colours.
The roads.
The silence.
The madness of getting there.
The feeling of lying beside that lake and realising how tiny you are. But I lost those memories. So now all I have are the memories inside my head and maybe that's okay because photographs can disappear but the feeling doesn't.
I really hope life gives me another Chandratal call someday and if it does…I'll go again. Not for the photographs. Not for Instagram. Not even for the view.
I'll go for that feeling. That strange combination of fear, peace, adrenaline and divinity. Because sometimes you need to raise your cortisol just to experience the biggest oxytocin rush of your life. And when it finally hits…GOOSEBUMPS, BRO.
Literally. Goosebumps. Maybe that's what Chandratal is. Not a destination. Not just a lake but A feeling you carry home with you.
And a place that, long after you've left, still makes a tiny part of you wonder…
"When is Chandratal going to call me back?”

Okay guys, enough yapping.I think I should close this now. You probably already know all the general knowledge about Chandratal, its altitude, its shape, the folklore, the route, the geography and everything else. I didn't write all this to teach you about Chandratal. I just wanted to share my experience of it and honestly, more than anything, I wanted to write it down. Because maybe 10, 20 or 30 years from now, I'll randomly come across this blog and read these words again. Maybe I'll forget the exact colour of the lake that evening. Maybe I'll forget which road scared me the most. Maybe I'll forget the little details. But hopefully, I'll read this and remember exactly how Chandratal felt and maybe I'll smile and think, "Oh god, I really did that.”
So this is less of a travel blog and more of a little time capsule for my future self. Until Chandratal calls me again…
 Keep dreaming of chandratal and you will reach there with this I end ..



Bye, bye
Your friendly vet
Dreamingvet™

Comments