REJTA--"A lesser known traditional dress of upper himachal"

Ok so as you know I'm working in upper seraj and soon going to marry in Upper Shimla area so I discovered that they have unique dressing sense that seperates them not only from other district himachali women but also the ones  from other states. Here I'm going to talk about REZTA also called Cholu, the lesser known but beautiful regional traditional dress of upper himachali ladies...
       
        REZTA is beleived to be originated from apple bowl of india, Kotgarh Shimla (Himachal Pradesh) but interestingly Rezta is not Himachali in origin. It is said that there has been European connection, therefore it has Victorian look. Kotgarh was incorporated into British India in 1815 so apparently foreign Christian missionaries and britishers often frequented this place and the nearby old Hindustan- Tibet Road and they could have introduced rezta. 
However, locals of Kotgarh beleives that rejta owes its origin to americans who played important role in Himachal's Pink Revolution and this dress has roots from those British Gowns which were the cultural dress of the British missionaries during British Rule of India. The Britishers left but this tradition attire stayed back with local influence adapting to Indian tradition  making it a unique culture charm of the Mountain Region. Slowly it got spread in surrounding areas of Kullu and shimla also...
Rezta is two-piece apparel with a skirt and a blouse or it can be made into a one- piece garment. It comes in different colors, pattern, fabrics but must important it is always wore along with sadari(koti) and a dhatu (square scarf). 
Dhatu is not wore by unmarried girls of this area but for sake of social media and trends now girls are also using dhattu..

From last few decades this local traditional dress culture has begun to fade because gen z is more towards western cultures but still in villages of these areas you will find women wearing them on daily routine or in wedding or some other festivities..
Still as world is getting digitalised I had seen youngsters trying these old traditions for the sake of content but whatever it is we are atleast getting back to our roots..
 
Recently I also wore Rezta for the first time in my pre wedding shoot. I was always fascinated towards this beautiful attire which look so regal and feminine... 
The area I work in is also famous for rezta so I was determined to get it for one of my wedding festivities...
 
I bought one for me from market of rampur bushair at the cost of 2000 and I really loved it... 
I hope you will also try this beautiful looking attire from my state if you ever get a chance... 
Next I will let you know about jewel pieces wore here in upper Shimla area .
Till then take care love and love 

Your friendly vet
@dreamingvet
💜💜💜💜

Comments

Popular Posts